A few words on Wallonia
Wallonia is one of the three Regions in the Federal State of Belgium. The other two are the Flemish Region and the Brussels Capital Region. Get to know everything about the communities and regions in Belgium.
Wallonia lies in the southern part of Belgium. It includes the Ardennes, a hilly and green area and a main tourism destination for nature-lovers. French is the main language and German is also spoken in the South-East, but most people speak English too. It shares a border with France, Luxembourg and Germany.
Namur has been the capital of the Walloon Region and its 3.5 million inhabitants since 1986. Namur houses the Walloon Government and Parliament. For more details about the Walloon institutions (Parliament, Government and public services), visit their website Portal of the Walloon Region.
- the highest point
the Botrange Signal Tower (ROBERTVILLE) is 694m high
80% of the Belgian forests are located in Wallonia
the Meuse river flows through Wallonia, as well as a number of waterways and streams
a former mining land, nowadays the slag heaps are covered with vegetation. You can still visit a few of the old mines and delve into the country's past. La Chaîne des Terrils.
Wallonia is divided into 5 provinces
South of Brussels. Towns of interest: Waterloo, Villers-la-Ville, Wavre, Nivelles, Louvain-la-Neuve, The Brabant area
Western Part. Slight hills, large beech groves. Towns of interest: Charleroi, Tournai, Mons, Binche, Chimay
Centre south of Wallonia. Valleys and Rivers. Towns of interest: Namur, Dinant, Han-sur-Lesse, Rochefort, Couvin
Northeast of Wallonia, very hilly. Towns of interest: Liège, Spa, Huy, Stavelot, Malmedy
In the southeast of Belgium. Vast forests abounding in game. Saint-Hubert, La Roche, Bouillon, Orval, la Gaume and Durbuy
Places to visit in Wallonia
- Castles of Belgium(1 castle every 25 km²)
- abbeys- some names will sound familiar to beer and cheese lovers: Floreffe Abbey (FLOREFFE), Notre-Dame of Leffe Abbey (DINANT), The Maredsous Abbey and St Joseph Visitors' Centre, Dennée (DENEE), Orval Abbey (VILLERS-DEVANT-ORVAL), Cistercian Abbey in Villers-la-Ville (VILLERS-LA-VILLE)
- historical sites: theme trails, and famous people like Magritte, Rops, Sax, Simenon and many more, citadels, fortresses and fortified castles
- remarkable natural sites
- charming small towns
- traditional manufactories(breweries, chocolate factories, tapestry-making, etc)
- events on the Agenda of events in Wallonia and Brussels: various folkloric events, carnivals and festivals
- 42 Tourist Houses in Wallonia are strategically located in different areas of Wallonia to give you all the information you need for an enjoyable stay
Accommodation in Wallonia (Choose from our suggestion of tourist accommodation in Wallonia and Brussels)
the larger hotels are mainly located in the cities (Charleroi, Liège and Namur) and in the historical and typical Walloon cities (Mons, Tournai, la Roche, Durbuy just to name a few), but you will easily find a lot of smaller hotels, mainly near tourist locations.
Logis de Belgique Logis de Belgique offers a list of cosy hotels with regional food.
guesthouses are common in Wallonia. Have your pick among country cottages, farm cottages and theme cottages with all types of exciting activities in store.
Tel: +32.(0)2 504 02 80 or Fédération des Gîtes de Wallonie
accommodation for groups and younger visitors including youth hostels and holiday villages.
To book a youth hostel Tel: +32.(0)2 219 56 76: Youth Hostels