Street Crossage in Chièvres
In Chièvres, as in many other little Walloon villages, there is a centuries old custom, which has gladly been kept alive.
This regional tradition is very similar to the hugely popular medieval game of crossage (butting) or our present-day golf.
Although quite strange, the street crossage is one of the most original and genuine traditions of Wallonia: the aim of the game is to hit a chôlette (a wooden or soft ball), with a rabot (bat), and to hit the barrels of beer which are placed outside each coffee bar...
During daytime players stop in front of each coffee bar, and when evening comes a typically traditional meal is served. And don't forget that a few days before (on 4 March) during the Saumonces, the Prince of Street Crossage will be elected.
From 12 noon in the streets in Chièvres.
- tel. : +32 (0) 68 64 59 61
- website : http://www.officedutourismechievres.be/otchievres/CrossageDates.asp
Tourist information on the town CHIEVRES
Visit our partners' webpages
- Dour Music Festival 2015
- Old Bill Exhibition - Interpretation Centre Plugstreet 14-18 Experience
- A lady of the manor in the trenches at Louvignies castle
- Materi'oh! - An exhibition for children aged 6 to 12!
- Flower Carpet in the Seneffe Castle Estate