Folklore And Tradition
Fête de la Main - Hand Festival in Dottignies
The hand festival is an unmissable event commemorating a unique occurrence in Belgium! Learn a bit more about it in Dottignies from 20 to 22/09/14!
Dottignies is one of the rare towns in the world where there's a hand on top of the church clock tower instead of the traditional cockerel.
To this day, no document has allowed us to explain this.
This "mystery" gives free reign to many hypotheses, some of which are as fanciful as they are whimsical.
The origin and meaning of this hand have always intrigued the locals.
What we know for certain is that this hand has become a symbol of fraternity.
This is the message that residents pass down every day.
On the programme
- Saturday: Market, Dottignies dance, Grand Prix Bockor, hot air balloon flights, procession organised by the Gilles de Dottignies, final dance and party
- Sunday: Entertainment by the Gilles de la Main, open day at the fire brigade, concert, raising of the symbolic hand, procession and entertainment. Not forgetting the final dance and the fireworks display by the Gilles de la Main
- Monday: Lantern procession.
- tel. : +32 (0) 56 86 03 70
- website : http://www.mouscron.be
Tourist information on the town MOUSCRON
Visit our partners' webpages
- The Hainaut's Waterways Celebrate Halloween - Cruises
- Halloween at Naturaparc
- Materi'oh! - An exhibition for children aged 6 to 12!
We are not responsible for any changes in dates and/or programmes. Please contact the organiser prior to departure.