Folklore and Traditions: Carnival of the mauvais bien - Evil Good
A very particular folklore awaits you: search, capture and judgement of the 'Evil Good'. In Pletigny from 28/02 to 04/03/14.
The 'Evil Good' is a character played by an inhabitant who is accused of being responsible for all the wrongs committed against the villagers.
Of course, he tries to defend himself, but to no avail! He is lead to the bottom of the bonfire where he is sentenced to death by hanging and burning on the evening of Mardi Gras.
The carnival takes place during the weekend preceding Mardi Gras.
On Friday afternoon, the children are invited to walk the village streets dressed up, searching for the Evil Good.
The Sunday afternoon, colourful floats will parade through the village streets.
During the parade, the executioners will show off their prisoner and in the evening the trial will take place.
Tuesday afternoon is dedicated to the children, with a ball just for them including activities and games.
Then the carnival parade descends through the village by torchlight on its way to the football pitch. There, the judge reads out a the charges against the Evil Good.
After hanging the Evil Good on the top of the woodpile, the fire is lit. According to legend, this practice, if carried out correctly bring s good luck.
The carnival in Petigny is more than folklore. It's popular history that is being perpetuated in the streets!
- tel. : +32 (0) 478 48 32 56
- website : http://www.accueilchampetre.be/fr/events/view/1424/carnaval-du-mauvais-bien---folklore-et-traditions
Tourist information on the town COUVIN
Visit our partners' webpages
- The Cave's hidden denizens - Visits in Han-sur-Lesse
- Namur Legend, classic motorcycles at the Namur Citadel
- Prehistoric Weekend in Han-sur-Lesse!
- Steam Festival - Locomotive festival in Mariembourg
- Christmas Market at the Saint-Gérard de Brogne Abbey