Historic Reconstruction: Napoleon, Wavre 1815 - Relive the Battle
Not far from the Battle of Waterloo, another battle took place, known as the "forgotten battle". Re-live this battle in Wavre, 05 and 06/07/14.
This event offers some 600 participants, members of various military groups from Belgium, but also France, the Netherlands, Germany and the United Kingdom, the possibility to re-live the different phases of the battle.
Some buildings and architectural elements still bear witness to the event, such as:
- Le Pont du Christ (the Bridge of Christ) - the statue of Christ received a bullet to its left side)
- the pillar of the Church of St John the Baptist in which a French bullet is embedded and is still visible
- the Bawette Castle, which used to be the headquarters of General von Thielmann and Marshal Grouchy.
Every year, the town of Wavre commemorates this event on the first weekend of July and the Tourist Office of Ardennes Brabant organises an exhibition to commemorate one aspect of the Napoleonic legend for the entire month.
A bit of history
On 18 and 19 June 1815, the French (under the command of Marshal Grouchy) and the Prussians (under the command of General von Thielmann) engage in bloody battles that end in the final imperial victory.
The Battle of Wavre featured 3 French army corps commanded by Marshal Grouchy fighting against a Prussian rearguard on 18 June 1815.
For more information contact:
- C.H.A.W (Cercle Historique, Archéologique et Généalogique de Wavre et du Brabant wallon) : +32 (0)10 24 43 77 or +32 (0)499 96 91 89
- and/or Tourist Office of the Brabant Ardennes region - Wavre Tourisme Board: +32 (0)10 23 03 23.
- tel. : +32 (0) 10 23 03 23
- website : http://www.wavre1815.com/
Tourist information on the town WAVRE
Visit our partners' webpages
- The Tour & Taxis E-Experience
- The paleoLAB at the Museum of natural Sciences
- ID#2016, Digital Sound & Light installation in Brussels
- Creative Workshop at the Museum of Cocoa and Chocolate
- Exhibition: The Awakening of Consciousness by Gao Xingjian