The Gilles Carnival in Binche
The Carnival of Binche was recognised by UNESCO as a masterpiece of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity. More than 900 Gilles parade on Mardi Gras. In Binche in 2014
Shrove Sunday 10/02
From 9am: Cross-dressers, viols and drums animate the town.
From 3pm: Place Eugène Derbaix - The Carnival parade sets off.
Shrove Monday 11/02
From 10am: Youth parade accompanied by viols.
From 4pm: Grand-Place - Rondeau of friendship
From 7pm: Place Eugène Derbaix - Fireworks display
Shrove Tuesday 12/02 - Mardi Gras
From sunrise: The Gilles, peasants, Pierrots and harlequins animate the town
From 8:30am: The iconic wax masks appear and reception at the town hall.
From 3pm: Parade and rondeau on the Grand-Place.
From 8pm: Illuminated night-parade and rondeau
From 9:30pm: The Grand-Place is ablaze.
As for the festivities during the run-up tp Shrove Tuesday:
- 13 and 20 January: drums and percussions rehearsal in the centre of Binche
- 19 January: Socialist Youth ball at the Salle du Kursaal
- 26 January: Liberal youth dance at the Salle du Kursaal
- Sunday 27 and Sunday 3rd February: Soumonces and music in the centre of Binche
- 2 February: young Catholics dance at the Salle Saint-Ursmer
- 4 February: "Nuit des Trouilles de Nouilles" (Horror Night) in the town centre
Tourist information on the town BINCHE
Visit our partners' webpages
- Dour Music Festival
- Ehibition - From the Nile to Alexandria: A History of Water
- Chamber Music Concerts at the Seneffe Castle Organgerie
- Expo Renaissance 2.0 - Journey to the Origins of the Web
- Flower Carpet