Christmas Market in Couillet
Traditional Christmas market. Numerous stands and seasonal products await you in Couillet, the 08 and 09/12/12.
The municipality of Couillet, situated on the banks of the river Sambre, appears to have been inhabited since ancient times as several different archaeological digs have confirmed.
The Saint Laurent church, built from the 11th century, stands on the remains of a sanctuary from the Carolingian period.
During the French Revolution, the town was given the charming name of Violette-sur-Sambre (The Violet on the River Sambre).
It was in Couillet that famous Belgian chemist and industrialist Ernest Slovay built his first Sodium Carbonate factory in the 19th century. The factory no longer exist, however.
Only the Solvay Casino remains, the last remnant of this great philanthropist's social convictions.
So why not make the most of the magic of Christmas to visit the region?
- tel. : +32 (0) 71 36 82 00
Tourist information on the town CHARLEROI
Visit our partners' webpages
- Chamber Music Concerts at the Seneffe Castle Organgerie
- Expo Renaissance 2.0 - Journey to the Origins of the Web
- Flower Carpet
- Exhibition: L'Age de l'Eternité - The Age of Eternity
- Ehibition - From the Nile to Alexandria: A History of Water