Fête de la Main - Hand Festival - Folklore and Traditions
The hand festival is an unmissable event commemorating a unique occurrence in Belgium! Discover it in Dottignies, 14 - 16/09/13.
Dottignies is one of the rare towns in the world where there's a hand on top of the church clock tower instead of the traditional cockerel. To this day, no document has allowed us to explain this.
This "mystery" gives free reign to many hypotheses, some of which are as fanciful as they are whimsical.
The origin and meaning of this hand have always intrigued the locals.
What we know for certain is that this hand has become a symbol of fraternity. This is the message that residents pass down every day.
On the programme:
- Saturday: Market, Dottignies dance, Grand Prix Bockor, hot air balloon flights, procession organised by the Gilles de Dottignies, final dance and party,
- Sunday: Entertainment by the Gilles de la Main, open day at the fire brigade, concert, raising of the symbolic hand, procession and entertainment. Not forgetting the final dance and the fireworks display by the Gilles de la Main,
- Monday: Lantern procession.
- tel. : +32 (0) 56 86 03 70
- website : http://www.mouscron.be
Tourist information on the town MOUSCRON
Visit our partners' webpages
- Old Bill Exhibition - Interpretation Centre Plugstreet 14-18 Experience
- Tony Oursler Exhibition - Phantasmagoria
- Materi'oh! - An exhibition for children aged 6 to 12!
- Tree Dating: a tree-some love affair
- Flower Carpet in the Seneffe Castle Estate