Carnival - Folklore and Traditions in the Eastern Cantons
The carnivals start with the Kappensitzung (pre-carnival session) and Ladies' Thursday on the Thursday before Mardi Gras. In Raeren 10/02/13!
It is this that kicks off festivities along with the passing over of power to the Carnival Prince, who receives the keys to the city until Mardi Gras (Shrove Tuesday).
The big parade usually takes place on "Rose Monday", (the Monday before Mardi Gras) which gets its name from the tradition of throwing rose petals along the parade route.
The Carnival Prince is the master of ceremonies and he and his float are the highlight of the parade. the celebrations end on Mardi Gras when the Carnival Prince hands the keys of the city back over to the
Mardi Gras (Shrove Tuesday) - children's parade at 2pm.
- tel. : +32 (0) 80 22 76 64
Tourist information on the town EUPEN
Visit our partners' webpages
- Formula 1 Belgium Grand Prix at Spa Francorchamps
- Aperitif/Concert at Stavelot Abbey
- André Grétry - The 200th Anniversary of the Death of the Liege Composer
- International contemporary engraving biennale (and engraving festival)