THE PENITENTS' PARADE
Every year during the night of Good Friday a famous procession filled with mystery and mysticism takes place in Lessines. The penitents wearing frock and cowl and carrying a cross adorned with all the attributes of the Passion leave the church at dusk and walk through the dark streets. A group of children who advise people of the approaching procession with giant rattles precede the torchlit procession. The cortège then returns to the church for the symbolic burial. On coming out of the church, life is born from death, spring follows winter, and the shop windows are ablaze with the colours of Easter.
The procession starts in the St. Pierre church at dusk, around 9 pm.
- tel. : +32 (0) 68 33 24 03
- fax : +32 (0) 68 33 36 90
Tourist information on the town LESSINES
Visit our partners' webpages
- Exhibition: L'Age de l'Eternité - The Age of Eternity
- Dour Music Festival
- Expo Renaissance 2.0 - Journey to the Origins of the Web
- Chamber Music Concerts at the Seneffe Castle Organgerie
- Ehibition - From the Nile to Alexandria: A History of Water