Speeddown soapbox racing
Around 50 teams will be biting the dust surrounded by crowds of supporters. The race takes place in Pont on 26 August 2012.
8th game of the TPP championship
It's not a joke but quite the opposite: it's a very serious matter. The soapbox race has its rules, competitions and champions.
The vehicles are far from arty-crafty: they have bodies in resin, suspensions, hydraulic disc brakes that are capable of stopping a box moving at 70 km/h in the space of 15 m.
In 2011, the route was modified and is now the most technically complete in Belgium:
- straight line with speed points reaching 99 km/h
- double bends
- 6 curves in succession
- 1 jump
- 1650 m with a drop of 155m
- 450 straw bales around the difficult curves
- and race umpires!
Training sessions will start at 10am sharp and races at 1.30pm. Great prizes will be awarded. Pont is located between Ligneuville and Recht. Follow signs at exits 12 and 13 of motorway E42 and from Ligneuville.
Heaps of excitement guaranteed for participants, and impressive extras set up by the young people's local organisation, with:
- in short, enough to feed and refresh enthusiastic spectators!
Watch crazy soapboxes whizz past in Pont!
David Antoine (from the local radio RTL-TVI) will be there to film a piece on soapboxes to be broadcast during the show "I COMME".
- website : http://www.infotpp.be/Pont.html
Tourist information on the town MALMEDY
Visit our partners' webpages
- International contemporary engraving biennale (and engraving festival)
- Belgian Formula 1 Grand Prix at Spa Francorchamps
- Aperitif/Concert at Stavelot Abbey
- André Grétry - The 200th Anniversary of the Death of the Liege Composer