FESTIVAL OF THE MONONK OR SIMPELOURD
The main character of the "Ducasse" in Soignies is the Simpélourd, (simple and heavy), or also known by the people of Soignies as Mononk, (My Uncle). This popular figure used to be the symbol of a cheated husband and was taken by the "compagnons de goguette" (drinking companions), through the town to be ridiculed. Today, he represents the happy-go-lucky, cheerful and jokey image of a person of Soignies. Simpélourd will appear on the Saturday at the Soignies station. From there, he will be taken through the town in full view of everyone to the Place Verte. The effigy of Simpélourd will then be hung from one of the windows in the Place Verte where he will stay until the end of the celebrations of the "Ducasse", after which, he will be burnt after confessing his crimes.
Saturday: departure of the parade from Soignies station in the direction of the Place Verte at 4.30 p.m.
- tel. : +32 (0) 67 34 12 48
- tel. : +32 (0) 67 34 73 76
- website : http://www.soignies.be
Tourist information on the town SOIGNIES
Visit our partners' webpages
- Dour Music Festival
- Ehibition - From the Nile to Alexandria: A History of Water
- Exhibition: L'Age de l'Eternité - The Age of Eternity
- Expo Renaissance 2.0 - Journey to the Origins of the Web
- Chamber Music Concerts at the Seneffe Castle Organgerie