PROCESSION OF THE PUCELETTE AND PEREGRINATION OF WASMES
The procession of the Pucelette originates from a twelfth century legend in which it is told that the Lord Gilles of Chin fought a dragon that was wreaking havoc and destruction in the region, attacking men and animals, and saved a young maiden, (Pucelette), held prisoner by the beast. The procession of Wasmes, which is one of the main processions in the region of Mons, seems to retrace the route the injured dragon took before it died. During Whitsun Monday, the procession escorts the statue of Our Lady of Wasmes on a 17 km peregrination. There are many different activities and events taking place on that same day in Wasmes and in the surrounding communes.
Whitsun Monday: presentation to the population of the Pucelette (symbolised by a little girl).
The Wasmes Peregrination takes place during Whitsun Tuesday and leaves from the Cambri Church.
Tourist information on the town COLFONTAINE
Visit our partners' webpages
- Living objects. Made for India - Exhibition at Grand Hornu Images
- Materi'oh! - An exhibition for children aged 6 to 12!
- Old Bill Exhibition - Interpretation Centre Plugstreet 14-18 Experience
- Tony Oursler Exhibition - Phantasmagoria
- Tree Dating: a tree-some love affair