Charleroi, a city on the up. Visit it as a couple
Maison du Tourisme du Pays de Charleroi
Place Charles II 20
- MAPS: Google Maps
Fancy sharing a moment together in an original urban setting? Discover Charleroi, a city on the up. It's diversity will surprise you.
Discover Charleroi, hand in hand. You can:
- Explore its architectural heritage,
- Visit its museums,
- Discover its trendy and unusual places,
- Go for a walk on its slag heaps.
Charleroi, a diverse city
Remarkable architectural heritage
- On place Charles II, the Hôtel de Ville (City Hall), in an Art Deco style and its UNESCO World Heritage belfry,
- Maison Lafleur, on boulevard Solvay, and the Art Nouveau Maison Dorée, on rue Tumelaire,
- The architecture and Art nouveau elements on rue Léon Bernus.
- The Musée des Beaux-Arts (Fine Arts Museum), in the city centre, offers a rich collection that covers the great art movements in Belgium from the 19th to the 20th century. Among others: René Magritte, Paul Delvaux...
- A few kilometres away, the Musée de la Photographie (Photography Museum) in Mont-sur-Marchienne. It is unique in Europe due to its size and collections. There you will discover the history of photography and high quality temporary exhibitions.
- In Marcinelle, the old Bois du Cazier coal mine, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, offers 3 museum itineraries dedicated to coal, steel and glass.
Do you like the trendy and unusual? Exhibitions, music and underground performances? Then you'll love:
- The Vector, in the city centre: concerts, literary encounters, plastic art exhibitions, installations, digital meetings, editorials and cinematographic projections.
- The Forges de la Providence, in the centre of Marchienne-au-Pont, renovated and dedicated to popular, social and alternative cultures.
- The Rockerill invites you to experience a whole host of events: music, plastic and digital arts, theatre, cinema, dance and street arts!
Out of the ordinary
Looking for out of the ordinary outdoor activities with a guide (booking required)? Then let yourself be tempted by:
- Photography walks: equipped with your camera, travel unknown and surreal landscapes. Private companies will be accessible for the occasion.
- More sporty, is the Charleroi slag heaps discovery. These hills are packed with history and today host an exceptional fauna and flora.
A top tip for your couples visit
To discover the Charleroi region with inside help, off the beaten track and through the eyes of a local, why not meet a Greeter! They will tell you their own story and will share with you all of their favourite parts of the city.
Tourist information on the town CHARLEROI
The Pays de Charleroi, Industrial Heritage. Once black, the Pays de Charleroi is changing and getting some colours....