Love is in the air in Mons! A romantic weekend in Mons
Maison du Tourisme de la Région de Mons
Grand Place 22
- MAPS: Google Maps
Are you looking for ideas for a weekend for 2 in Mons? If so, take a look at this selection of unmissable spots.
- Exploring its exceptional art and history heritage,
- A romantic picnic,
- Visiting 5 new museums,
- Fun and original ideas to continue your discoveries.
Mons, a fulfilling city
To start your visit
Discover Mons' Grand-Place and its listed facades. Admire its city hall, a pearl of Gothic architecture. Don't miss, on its facade, the Grand-Garde monkey, who brings good luck to those who stroke him with their left hand. Find a souvenir in the visitMons shop. Then use the city hall's porch to reach the Jardin du Mayeur, a genuine haven of peace and quiet in the heart of the city.
Continue your exploring with a visit to the Saint-Waltrude Collegiate church, with its 29 chapels, its treasure, its windows... Don't miss the stunning Car d'Or (golden carriage), that gives its name to the annual procession.
A romantic stop
Why not take your partner for a picnic at the foot of the belfry, a UNESCO heritage site? Then, retrace your steps and take the Ruelle César to get to the Parc du Château. Here you will benefit from a magnificent panoramic view of the whole region.
Still thirsty...for more culture?
No less than 5 museums await you: the artothèque, the Doudou museum, the Mons Memorial Museum, the Silex's and the Belfry.
Other fun and original ways to discover the city
- With a Greeter: a totally different experience.
Why not meet up with a local volunteer who will share his favourite things about Mons, his passions, suggestions and anecdotes with you...More info
- On a Triobalade: a Piaggio rickshaw takes you along the little streets, courtyards and gardens. Your guide, Ludovic, will help you enjoy the city in a fun and totally new way. More info
- "Balades éclairées du comte et de la comtesse de Beaulieu."
The Salon des Lumières (restaurant) and the Calèche de la Caspienne (Caspienne horse-drawn carriage) take you on a journey to discover through its architecture, politics and important figures, what daily life was like in Mons in the 18th century. Combine your horse-drawn carriage trip with a meal at the "Salon des Lumières," where you will be offered a menu centred around crêpes. More info
Download the free visitMons app from the Apple store and Google Play store.
- Belgium Greeters - Meet a local resident
- Artothèque, 50000 pieces at your fingertips
- MMM, Mons Memorial Museum
- Neolithic flint mines in Spiennes - SILEX'S Mons
Prestigious collections of works of art are housed in the several museums of the city like for example the Museum of Fine Arts and the Museum of Decorative Arts....