Love is in the air in Mons! A romantic weekend in Mons
Maison du Tourisme de la Région de Mons
Grand Place 22
- MAPS: Google Maps
Are you looking for ideas for a weekend for 2 in Mons? If so, take a look at this selection of unmissable spots.
- Exploring its exceptional art and history heritage,
- A romantic picnic,
- Visiting 5 new museums,
- Fun and original ideas to continue your discoveries.
Mons, a fulfilling city
To start your visit
Discover Mons' Grand-Place and its listed facades. Admire its city hall, a pearl of Gothic architecture. Don't miss, on its facade, the Grand-Garde monkey, who brings good luck to those who stroke him with their left hand. Find a souvenir in the visitMons shop. Then use the city hall's porch to reach the Jardin du Mayeur, a genuine haven of peace and quiet in the heart of the city.
Continue your exploring with a visit to the Saint-Waltrude Collegiate church, with its 29 chapels, its treasure, its windows... Don't miss the stunning Car d'Or (golden carriage), that gives its name to the annual procession.
A romantic stop
Why not take your partner for a picnic at the foot of the belfry, a UNESCO heritage site? Then, retrace your steps and take the Ruelle César to get to the Parc du Château. Here you will benefit from a magnificent panoramic view of the whole region.
Still thirsty...for more culture?
No less than 5 museums await you: the artothèque, the Doudou museum, the Mons Memorial Museum, the Silex's and the Belfry.
Other fun and original ways to discover the city
- With a Greeter: a totally different experience.
Why not meet up with a local volunteer who will share his favourite things about Mons, his passions, suggestions and anecdotes with you...More info
- On a Triobalade: a Piaggio rickshaw takes you along the little streets, courtyards and gardens. Your guide, Ludovic, will help you enjoy the city in a fun and totally new way. More info
- "Balades éclairées du comte et de la comtesse de Beaulieu."
The Salon des Lumières (restaurant) and the Calèche de la Caspienne (Caspienne horse-drawn carriage) take you on a journey to discover through its architecture, politics and important figures, what daily life was like in Mons in the 18th century. Combine your horse-drawn carriage trip with a meal at the "Salon des Lumières," where you will be offered a menu centred around crêpes. More info
Download the free visitMons app from the Apple store and Google Play store.
- MMM, Mons Memorial Museum
- Artothèque, 50000 pieces at your fingertips
- Neolithic flint mines in Spiennes - SILEX'S Mons
- Belgium Greeters - Meet a local resident
Prestigious collections of works of art are housed in the several museums of the city like for example the Museum of Fine Arts and the Museum of Decorative Arts....