CASTLE OF THE LORDS OF AUTEL
6706 AUTELBAS (ARLON)
- MAPS: Google Maps
Autelbas Castle is the last fortress in the South of Luxemburg that still has remnants standing. It was probably built in the 14th century by Huart 1st of Autel, seneschal of King John the Blind, count of Luxemburg. It was the symbol of the resistance of the Luxemburg noblemen against the Burgundian and was therefore besieged and destroyed in 1413.
It was later rebuilt and transformed. It was inhabited until the 1960s, and burnt down in 1983. There is only a third of the original building left. Since 1998 restoration works are being carried out to the ruins.
The visit (exterior) of the castle and the archaeological site of Autelbas is done after the visit to the museum. Visit with guide to the museum and the site of Autelbas for a group of 25 persons: €50,-. The full visit takes about 2 hours.
- Tel/Fax: +32 (0)63/234 639 (G. Fairon - office of G.R.A.S.B./Musée d'Autelbas a.s.b.l.).
- Tel/GMS: +32 (0)63/217 901 - 0496/251 856 (J. Hainaut - "Vivre à Barnich" a.s.b.l.)
Tourist information on the town ARLON