RUINS OF THE PALACE OF MARY OF HUNGARY
Rue des Promenades 2
- MAPS: Google Maps
The chateau of the Counts of Binche was in a state of sorry dilapidation when Marie of Hungary decided to build a magnificent palace in its place to rival the aristocratic palaces of France. Building began in 1545 under the direction of Jacques Dubroeucq, and almost five million bricks were used. Completed for the visit of the Emperor Charles V and his son, the palace was burned down five years later by the troops of Henry II of France. The site was listed in 1936 and is currently the subject of an extensive programme of archaeological excavations on the site of the 18th century municipal park. The covered way along the old ramparts offers an unsurpassed view over the surrounding countryside.
For more info, please contact the tourist office of Binche - Hôtel de Ville, Grand-Place, 7130 Binche.
Included in the Guided Visit of Binche.
Tourist information on the town BINCHE
Visit our partners' webpages
- Le Bois du Cazier: Mining, Glass and Industry museums
- The Bois du Cazier Industry Museum
- Natura Parc - Accrobranche park in Belgium at the Lacs de l'Eau d'Heure
- Mundaneum - The Wallonia-Brussels Federation Archive Centre
- The Mahymobiles Automobile Museum in Leuze-en-Hainaut