Notre-Dame de Bonsecours Basilica
Rue Royale 1
7603 BON-SECOURS (PERUWELZ)
- MAPS: Google Maps
The Bon-Secours basilica is situated at the French-Belgian border and was built as a result of the 16th century fancy for pilgrimages.
Once called Notre-Dame-du-chêne-entre-deux-bois, it stands where once stood an oak tree that was a landmark during the Middle-Ages for pilgrims travelling between Péruwelz, Condé and Blaton. A branch of this tree was used to sculpt the statue of the Black Virgin.
Everything in the interior of the basilica evokes this origin and even the gothic vaults imitate the high summits and recreate the shadowy light from the wood which sheltered the statue of the Virgin.
The octagonal monument, surrounded by a corolla of chapels, replaced a small chapel in 1885 and was upgraded to "basilica" in 1910.
Join some of the main events at the BasilicaOn the first Sunday of the month of July, the parish of Bonsecours organises a traditional procession to celebrate the Virgin.
On the first Saturday of October come and join the festival of the Rosary. During this festival, a procession with flames takes the pilgrims to the basilica.
- tel. : +32 (0) 69 77 22 42
- email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Tourist information on the town PERUWELZ
Visit our partners' webpages
- Château de Louvignies - Louvignies Castle
- The Bois du Cazier Industry Museum
- Archeosite® and Museum in Aubechies
- Ronquières Inclined Plane
- The Eau d'heure lakes - La Plate Taille Visitors' Centre