Madame Chapeau, a tribute to Brussels' sense of humour
Rue du Midi 111
- MAPS: Google Maps
If you come to Brussels, take a walk along the Rue du Midi and stop near this old lady.
She's a depiction of the fictional character Amélie Van Beneden, a role often played in the theatre. Get closer and you'll realise it's actually a man dressed as an old woman!
It was the city of Brussels who decided to pay tribute to this fictional figure through a life-sized bronze statue created by the artist Tom Frantzen.
In actual fact, the statue highlights and represents the 'zwanze', the famous Brussels sense of humour.
How to get there?
Rue du Midi 111, 1000 Brussels
Visit our partners' webpages
- Walibi Theme Park...With friends or family, let's all go to Walibi!
- La Fonderie - Brussels Museum of Industry and Labour
- Laurent Gerbaud Chocolates
- Zaabär, the chocolate factory at the heart of Brussels
- Traditional Belgian Chocolatiers - Planète Chocolat