Place Royale, Brussels
- MAPS: Google Maps
After being named Place de la Cour, Place de Lorraine and Place Impériale, the square was named Place Royale, though no king has ever lived there.
The square, notable for the symmetry of its architecture, is a typical example of the Louis XVI style, the somewhat severe 18th-century neo-classicism and a style that took over from its baroque counterpart.
When closed off, the rectangular courtyard allowed for large processions and enabled courtiers to move about easily.
The centre of the square is dominated by the statue of Godefroid de Bouillon which, in 1848, replaced the "Liberty Tree" planted by French revolutionaries in 1794 on the site where the statue of Charles de Lorraine had once stood.
- tel. : +32 (0) 2 513 89 40
- fax : +32 (0) 2 514 45 38
Visit our partners' webpages
- Royal Museum of the Army and Military History in Brussels
- Comic Strip Village in Brussels
- Zaabär Chocolates & Spices
- The Atomium - Monument and Symbol Built for Expo 58
- See and Tell in Brussels, guided city tours