Place Charles II
- MAPS: Google Maps
The origins of the church dates back to 1667, when Louis XIV ordered the construction of a Chapel Saint-Louis. En 1772, the church took back the name of Saint-Christophe who was already venerated in the church that disappeared during the construction of the fortification created in 1666 by the Spaniards.
In 1957, the church was exceptionally restored under the architect Joseph André. After that, the orientation of the building changed and a huge mosaic was created in the new nave by specialists coming from Venice, according to the cartoons of Jean Ransy,. The mosaic of a surface of 200m² represents the Apocalypse of John. Its millions of little white squares are in coloured glass or covered with a thin golden paper.
Guided visits on fixed dates or on request.
Tourist information on the town CHARLEROI
Visit our partners' webpages
- Pairi Daiza - the best zoo in Belgium 2014
- The Beloeil Castle and its Park - The Belgian Versailles
- Château de Louvignies - Louvignies Castle
- The Our Lady with the Rose Hospital in Lessines
- Guided Tours of the Tourist Office of the Charleroi Region