ANCIENT CASTLE OF CHIEVRES
- MAPS: Google Maps
Occupied during the Roman era, Chièvres was an important city-state under the Carolingians. There are 11th century records of an earl in the area. He is assumed to be of noble lineage, perhaps from a lesser branch of the Anvesnes family. During their reign, a castle and its outbuildings were built on the site of the present Gavre Tower and a wall was built around the town before 1186 because, being an important administrative and military centre, Chièvres had to be protected. Around 1560, Charles de Croÿ had a traditional type of stately home built in the Grand'Place. Around 1700, the Egmont family added a traditional type wing to the château, although they were no longer living there.
Castle cannot be visited.
For more information click HERE - © All rights reserved HCD asbl - DIN Consult sprl - 2003
Tourist information on the town CHIEVRES
Visit our partners' webpages
- Le Pass - The Science Adventure Park
- Château de Louvignies - Louvignies Castle
- B.P.S. 22 SPACE FOR CONTEMPORARY CREATION
- The Mahymobiles Automobile Museum in Leuze-en-Hainaut
- Pairi Daiza - the best zoo in Belgium 2014