The Soete Mill
Chemin du Moulin Soete 7
- MAPS: Google Maps
On the outskirts of the Route National 58, the Soete Mill spreads it wings. Its existence is very old and its history eventful. It was destroyed in 1914 and replaced by a mill from France in 1920. Around 1955, it became inactive, and thus deteriorated inexorably and there stood its great derelict shell. The restoration in 1987 breathed new life into it. However, unfortunately it burnt down in 1997. Nevertheless, reconstructed identically again, it was unveiled in 2001. Again, its spread wings play with the wind, and joyfully direct the grinding mechanisms. This central pivot mill weighs some sixty tons. Its three storeys make it the seventh biggest windmill in Europe, with a height of 16m50 and wingspan of 25m60.
Location: on the territory of Comines-Warneton, in the hamlet of Ten Brielen (also called "Capelle" in the Picard dialect).
Tourist information on the town COMINES-WARNETON
Visit our partners' webpages
- Natura Parc - Accrobranche park in Belgium at the Lacs de l'Eau d'Heure
- The Bois du Cazier Industry Museum
- The Bois du Cazier Glass Museum
- Le Bois du Cazier: Mining, Glass and Industry museums
- The Historic Canal du Centre and its Hydraulic Lifts