Avenue du Château d'Egmont
7050 HERCHIES (JURBISE)
- MAPS: Google Maps
The Château d'Egmont in Herchies had almost completely disappeared by the end of the 19th century.
It owes its survival to restoration work carried out by canon Edmond Puissant.
This fortress has a long history and is now occupied by a religious community. It formerly belonged to a number of illustrious families, including Nicolas Rolin, chancellor of the Duke of Burgundy and patron of the Hospices de Beaune.
The fort's site has been occupied for an extremely long time. Excavations have revealed objects dating back to Neolithic times. But its true history began in the 11th century.
A long history
The original fortress was built by Wauthier, Lord of Lens in the 11th century and was continually improved by his successors until 1325.
All monumental evidence of this era has disappeared with the exception of the quadrangular layout of the current castle, surrounded by moats.
Tours are available on request. Please telephone +32 (0)65 22 52 62.
- tel. : +32 (0) 65 22 52 62
Tourist information on the town JURBISE
Visit our partners' webpages
- Strepy-Thieu boat lift
- Ronquières Inclined Plane
- Archeosite® and Museum in Aubechies
- Mundaneum - The Wallonia-Brussels Federation Archive Centre
- The Eau d'heure lakes - La Plate Taille Welcome Centre