"SINGE DU GRAND GARDE"
Hôtel de Ville
- MAPS: Google Maps
"What a woman "wants", the Monkey knows how to do"
It is indeed said that when a young girl wants to get married, she has to stroke its head and her wish will come true within the year. It is also said that when newlyweds stroke its head, they'll have a baby within the year.
The monkey already existed in 1843 and certainly before that. We can safely consider that it already must have been at the Town Hall at the end of the XVIIth century!
Is it there since the construction of the Town Hall in de XVth century? Maybe! Was it placed at the façade during some restoration of the building? Maybe! Or is its origin connected to the opening of the tavern situated in the cellar? Maybe!
- tel. : +32 (0) 65 33 55 80
- fax : +32 (0) 65 35 63 36
- website : http://www.mons.be
Tourist information on the town MONS
Visit our partners' webpages
- "Le Crocodile Rouge" - The Red Crocodile Amphibious Bus
- Pairi Daiza - the best zoo in Belgium 2014
- Ronquières Inclined Plane
- Guided Tours of the Tourist Office of the Charleroi Region
- The Bois du Cazier Glass Museum