Saint Gertrude Collegiate Church
- MAPS: Google Maps
Nivelle's collegiate church was consecrated in 1046 by Wazon, bishop of Liège, in presence of Henry III, Holy Roman Emperor and is the city's masterpiece.
This imposing Roman style sanctuary has a two-headed plan with two transepts and two opposing choirs. The interior of the collegiate church impresses through its dimensions: 102 m long for the central nave, which makes this one of the largest Roman churches in the world.
The west work (or "westbau") consist of an apse, 2 chapel-galleries, a large high room ("imperial room"), an octagonal clock tower and 2 corner turrets.
You can also visit the crypt, the archaeological basement and the cloister. The southern turret houses Jean de Nivelles, a small copper warrior of 2,08m high.
Closed on Sunday morning and during masses.
Info: Office du Tourisme de Nivelles asbl, Rue de Saintes 48, B 1400 Nivelles.
Other phone number for information: +32 (0)67/21 54 13
Guided tours: individuals: weekdays at 2 pm, weekends and public holidays at 2 pm and 3.30 pm - groups (25 people at the most): by appointment, from 9 am to 5 pm.
Languages: French, Dutch, German, English, Italian.
Duration of the visit: 1h30.
Tourist information on the town NIVELLES
Visit our partners' webpages
- Cauchie House
- Museums of the Far East - Royal Museums for Art and History, Brussels
- La Fonderie - Brussels Museum of Industry and Labour
- Laurent Gerbaud Chocolates
- Galler Chocolates Grand-Place