Château de Rixensart
Rue de l'Eglise 40
- MAPS: Google Maps
The Château de Rixensart, still occupied by the princes of Merode, can be considered one of the most beautiful in castles in Belgium. The existing building partially dates back to 1631-32 and was built by Pierre-Ernest de Gavre and his daughter Françoise-Conradine de Gavre and her husband Philippe-Hipolyte Spinola, Earl of Bruay. Several famous people have lived in the magnificent lounges, rooms and apartments: Earl Félix of Merode, Minister of State Xavier de Merode, the writer Charles de Montalembert. The gardens are thought to have been inspired by one of the drawings of Le Nôtre, the renowned architect-designer of Louis XIV.
Tourist information on the town RIXENSART
Visit our partners' webpages
- See and Tell in Brussels, guided city tours
- Laurent Gerbaud Chocolates
- Museum of Letters and Manuscripts in Brussels
- Walibi Theme Park...With friends or family, let's all go to Walibi!
- Aventure Parc Wavre - the tree-top park a stone's throw from Brussels