Saint-Symphorien Military Cemetery
Rue Nestor Dehon
7030 SAINT-SYMPHORIEN (MONS)
- MAPS: Google Maps
Gather your thoughts in one of Belgium's most beautiful military cemeteries, only 2km from Mons, an unmissable remembrance tourism site.
In a calm and peaceful setting, surrounded by fields and trees, the Saint-Symphorien has two sections for both British and German graves.
This emotional place was awarded 2 stars in the Michelin guide. It is managed and immaculately maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
The cemetery is laid out like a little hilly park that can be visited in complete tranquillity.
The cemetery's historyMore than 500 men, most of which fell during the battle of Mons on 23 and 24/08/14, are buried in the cemetery: 284 German and 229 British servicemen.
You will also find the graves of soldiers who lost their lives liberating the city of Mons in 1918.
The cemetery is the final resting place of the first and last British soldiers to fall during the first World War, John Parr, who died in August 1914 aged 16 and George Edwin Ellison, who was killed on a reconnaissance mission barely an hour and a half before the Armistice.
Memorial ceremony on 4 August 2014The Saint-Symphorien cemetery will play a major part in the First World War commemorations on 4 August 2014 during a memorial ceremony in the presence of a member of the British Royal family, as well as members of the British and Belgian governments.
The Saint Symphorien cemetery is part of a memorial route featured in a guide available from the Tourist Office of Mons or to download here from their website.
Due to the First World war centenary commemorations taking place on 4 August 2014, Saint Symphorien cemetery will be closed to the public from 31 July to 5 August.
The official ceremony, in the presence, among others, of a member of the British Royal Family, will be shown on Belgian national TV station RTBF and on the BBC, as well as on a giant screen on Mons Grand Place.
Other events and speeches open to the public will also take place on 23 August.
Tourist information on the town MONS
Visit our partners' webpages
- The Beloeil Castle and its Park - The Belgian Versailles
- The Bois du Cazier Industry Museum
- The Eau d'heure lakes - La Plate Taille Visitors' Centre
- Mundaneum - The Wallonia-Brussels Federation Archive Centre
- Plugstreet 14-18 Experience First World War Interpretation Centre