The Historic Canal du Centre and its Hydraulic Lifts
Rue Raymond Cordier 50
7070 THIEU (LE ROEULX)
- MAPS: Google Maps
Come and visit the famous historic Canal du Centre and its hydraulic lifts. Timeless pieces of engineering art classed as UNESCO world heritage sites.
Located in the province of Hainaut, the 4 hydraulic lifts of the historic Canal du Centre, built at the start of the 19th century, are remarkable evidence of the industrial revolution in Belgium.
Did you know that the lifts allow boats to climb 17m using only the lifting power of water itself?
Visits, excursions and cruises
There are lots of ways for you to discover the historic Canal du Centre:
- Return journey: Approximately 2h30, starting from the Strépy-Thieu funicular: Mini train ride, guided tour of an engine room and guided boat trip with crossing of one of the hydraulic lifts.
- Smart trip: Approximately 4 hours, starting from the Strépy-Thieu funicular: Return journey on the historic Canal du Centre + visit of the Strépy-Thieu boat lift (visit of the "Pays de Génies" show-route and a film).
Preparing your visit
From 1 April to 26 October 2014, everyday except 5 and 6 July 2014.
Return journey: Two journeys per day departing at 10am & 2pm. Please arrive 30 minutes before your scheduled departure time. The number of places is limited, so we advise you to book in advance.
Smart trip: Canal du Centre in the morning & Strépy-Thieu in the afternoon or vice-versa. Please arrive minimum 30 minutes before your scheduled departure time.
- Adults from €14.25
- Children, 4 to 12 years from €9.50
- Children, 13 to 18 years from €12
- Seniors + 60 years from €9.50
- Groups from €7.50
The schedules and boat trips are susceptible to change.
Persons with reduced mobility: sadly the boat activities do not have wheelchair access.
- The Voies d'Eau du Hainaut, family discoveries along the river
- The Canal du Centre and its boat lifts | cycling routes in Wallonia