NOTRE DAME BASILICA OF BASSE WAVRE
Rue du Calvaire
- MAPS: Google Maps
Former free chapel from the 11th century, dependent on the Affligem abbey, now Marian sanctuary and parish church. Famous pilgrim location for over 500 years, with annual procession of "le Grand Tour" on Sunday, following June 24, with traditional benediction of the "wastia". In the sanctuary there is a reliquary offered in 1628, a large case covered with gilded copper in replacement of a former case created in 1152, which was destroyed by iconoclasts in 1582 and a statue of the crowned Virgin Mary from 1642, a work of Farcy Faydherbe. The original chapel has been enlarged and reorganised. As a church, it had to endure many trials during the wars. Several restorations took place in 1611, 1630, between 1709 and 1720 and in the 19th century. In 1999 it got the rank of basilica minor.
The parish hall (conference or picnic) can be used with an additional charge.
Possibility to have a cup of coffee or a bowl of soup: on request and with an extra charge.
Possibility to combine the visit of the locations with a walk and a walking tour (maps and guides on request).
Visit to the former seigniory of Basse-Wavre and the farm of Hosté (reception, Table d'hôtes and guestrooms).
Visit to the Wavre Museum of Hermitage.
Free entry and visit of the locations, church, sanctuary and the Marian park.
Free pilgrim reception (groups on request), visit of the locations with conference or instruction.
Tourist information on the town WAVRE
Visit our partners' webpages
- Zaabär, the chocolate factory at the heart of Brussels
- Folon Foundation
- Royal Museum of the Armed forces and Military History, Brussels
- Musée Oldmasters Museum, Royal Museums of Fine Arts
- Cistercian Abbey in Villers-la-Ville