1150 Brussels (WOLUWE-SAINT-PIERRE)
- MAPS: Google Maps
In 1956, Charles started churning out chips and deep fried morsels in fairs around Brussels
There's only one period of year he doesn't like, and that's winter. It's decidedly less fun when temperatures go below zero. That's when Charles installs his caravan on the place Dumon. And the mayonnaise set immediately!
In 50 years, the neighbourhood has changed a great deal. Banks, perfume shops, eateries have sprung up around the chip shop, as well as a cinema.
Close to the Stockel metro station, with most of the walls covered with Tintin characters, Charlie's chip shop reminds you of a Gaul village from Asterix, surrounded by Roman garrisons. Charlix chip shop still resists the invaders.
© Julien Thomas
Visit our partners' webpages
- Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences in Brussels
- CitySightseeing Brussels by Open Tours - the Official Brussels Tour Bus
- The Wellington Museum in Waterloo
- BELvue museum, Brussels | Everything there is to know about Belgium
- Zaabär, the chocolate factory at the heart of Brussels