The Erasmus House Museum and Béguinage, Brussels
Rue du Chapitre 31
1070 Brussels (ANDERLECHT)
- MAPS: Google Maps
Visit the Erasmus House Museum and Anderlecht Béguinage. Follow in the footsteps of this great humanist in the rich library and gardens.
- Erasmus House, a museum devoted to Erasmus' stay in Anderlecht
- The old Béguinage and its museum, Belgium's smallest béguinage
- The Gardens: a medicine garden and philosophical garden
The Erasmus House and the Béguinage are two of the oldest municipal museums in Belgium.
Erasmus, the humanist monk, stayed in this Gothic house in 1521.
The visit takes you through several rooms in the house: the chamber of rhetoric where he stayed in 1521. A study where you can admire works by Dürer, among other things. A Renaissance room with a collection of ancient paintings and Gothic sculptures. A room with frescoes where his books are exhibited.
The library and rare book collection can only be visited by researchers and people consulting the ancient books.
The old Béguinage of Anderlecht
This museum is located in the smallest béguinage in Belgium, founded in 1252.
The Béguinage presents collections of archaeology, religious art and popular art retracing the history of the Belgian municipality of Anderlecht.
The gardens of the Erasmus House
The gardens are composed of a medicine garden, where 16th-century plants once used by Erasmus are grown, and a philosophical garden.
- Every day except Monday
- Public holidays except 25 December and 1 January
- The Erasmus House Museum: 10am to 6pm
- The Béguinage: 10am to 12pm and 2pm to 5pm
- The Gardens: 20am to 6pm, free access
€1.25pp for the Erasmus House and Béguinage
French, Dutch, English, German, Italian and Spanish
Téléphone +32 (0)2 521 13 83
Fax +32 (0)2 527 12 69
The Erasmus House and Béguinage, an unmissable historical complex.
Visit our partners' webpages
- Musée Oldmasters Museum, Ancient Art, Fine Arts Museum of Belgium
- Culturespaces - The Lion Hamlet - Visitor Centre
- Horta-Lambeaux Pavilion - The Temple of Human Passions
- Cauchie House
- Lion Mound of Waterloo