ABBEY OF MAREDRET
Rue des Laidmonts 9
5537 ANHEE (MAREDRET)
- MAPS: Google Maps
The foundation of the abbey of Saints Jean and Scholastique fell within the scope of the 19th century monastic revival. The abbey's foundation stone was laid on August 5th 1891 on a piece of land that was offered by the DESCLÉE family. This important neo-gothic whole, in freestone and rubble stone under a slate roof, is located on one of the hills which overhang the village of Maredret and the Molignée valley. The construction of the church took place from 1898 until 1907 and was led by the Ghent architect A. VAN ASSCHE. The furniture and the stained-glass windows are truly remarkable. The monastic buildings were realised by the architects ENSEVAL, PEQUET, SOREIL and DURIEU.
Telephone number for the reception of the convent: + 32 (0)82/69 90 63.
Guided visit of the abbey church for groups on request.
The abbey of Maredret cannot be visited, except for the neo-gothic abbey church and the reception hall of the convent (illuminations, religious images, craftsmanship and local products). You can also visit two exhibitions on the history of the abbey and the rich tradition of illuminations and religious images. On request, a Benedictine nun will comment the exhibitions.
Tourist information on the town ANHEE
Visit our partners' webpages
- 'La Merveilleuse" Grotto in Dinant
- The Fagnes Brewery
- SAINT-GÉRARD DE BROGNE ABBEY
- The Citadel of Namur
- Maredsous Abbey and St Joseph Visitors' Centre