CASTLE OF AVONDANCE
7100 HAINE-SAINT-PAUL (LA LOUVIERE)
- MAPS: Google Maps
In the 15th century, the fief belonged to Catherine de Barbençon, widow of Gille de Mortagne. In 1835, Narcisse Coppée bought the château and had it restored. Coppée owned a small factory near the château on the banks of the Rieu de Baume. His son, Evence, was an engineer devoted to the study of the carbonisation of coal. In 1851, he founded the Maison Evence Coppée that started off as a small carbonisation plant. The L-shaped main building rises two storeys high on a stone base. The rear elevation has five openings in the same style. However, the most distinctive feature is the adjoining chapel dedicated to St Paul. A large square tower, dating back to the late 19th century, is adjoined to the main building at right angles.
The castle cannot be visited.
For more information click HERE - © All rights reserved HCD asbl - DIN Consult sprl - 2003
- website : http://www.chateau-davondance.be
Tourist information on the town LA LOUVIERE
Visit our partners' webpages
- Bois-Du-Luc Ecomuseum
- Royal Museum of Mariemont
- The Eau d'heure lakes - La Plate Taille Welcome Centre
- FORTIFIED CASTLE OF ECAUSSINNES-LALAING
- The Pass - The Scientific Adventure Park