COLLEGIATE CHURCH ST-GERTRUDE
- MAPS: Google Maps
The collegiate church of Nivelles was consecrated in 1046 by Wazon, bishop of Liège, in presence of Henry III, emperor of the Holy Roman Empire and is the city's masterpiece. This imposing Roman style sanctuary has a two-headed plan with two transepts and two opposing choirs. The interior of the collegiate church impresses through its dimensions: 102 m long for the central nave, which makes this one of the largest Roman churches in the world. The west work (or "westbau") consist of an apse, 2 chapel-galleries, a large high room ("imperial room"), an octagonal clock tower and 2 corner turrets. You can also visit the crypt, the archaeological basement and the cloister. The southern turret houses Jean de Nivelles, a small copper warrior of 2,08 m high.
Closed on Sunday morning and during masses.
Info: Office du Tourisme de Nivelles asbl, Rue de Saintes 48, B 1400 Nivelles.
Other phone number for information: +32 (0)67/21 54 13
Guided tours: individuals: weekdays at 2 pm, weekends and public holidays at 2 pm and 3.30 pm - groups (25 people at the most): by appointment, from 9 am to 5 pm.
Languages: FR, NL, EN, DE, IT.
Duration of the visit: 1h30.
Tourist information on the town NIVELLES
Visit our partners' webpages
- Royal Museum of the Army and Military History in Brussels
- The Wellington Museum in Waterloo
- Royal Fine Arts Museums - Musée Fin-de-Siècle Museum
- La Fonderie - Brussels Museum of Industry and Labour
- Musée Oldmasters Museum, Ancient Art, Fine Arts Museum of Belgium