Château de Rixensart
Rue de l'Eglise 40
- MAPS: Google Maps
The Château de Rixensart, still occupied by the princes of Merode, can be considered one of the most beautiful in castles in Belgium.
The existing building partially dates back to 1631-32 and was built by Pierre-Ernest de Gavre and his daughter Françoise-Conradine de Gavre and her husband Philippe-Hipolyte Spinola, Earl of Bruay.
Several famous people have lived in the magnificent lounges, rooms and apartments: Earl Félix of Merode, Minister of State Xavier de Merode, the writer Charles de Montalembert.
The gardens are thought to have been inspired by one of the drawings of Le Nôtre, the renowned architect-designer of Louis XIV.
Visiting the castle
From 13/04 to 30/09/2013, every day.
In French, Dutch, English and German.
Visits by reservation only and with due respect for the private life of the Princes of Merode.
Children under the age of 7 may not enter.
Not accessible to disabled people (2 sets of stairs).
The last Sunday of the month (except in June) from May to September.
Group training by the Syndicat d'Initiative de Rixensart.
In French and Dutch.
Minimum 8 people.
Please book your visit through the Syndicat d'Initiative de Rixensart
Tourist information on the town RIXENSART
Visit our partners' webpages
- Zaabär Chocolates & Spices
- Tour & Taxis
- Museum of Letters and Manuscripts in Brussels
- Belgian Comic Strip Centre - BCSC
- Walibi Belgium Theme Park. With friends or family, let's all go to Walibi!