Château de Rouveroy
Rue Gabrielle Petit 9
7120 ROUVEROY (ESTINNES)
- MAPS: Google Maps
Although the Château de Rouveroy was built in 1782, its history goes back much further.
Englebert of Grez, Lord of Rouveroy, accompanied Philip of Alsace on a Crusade in 1180. The seigneury, which in 1304 belonged to Baldwin of Rouveroy, passed to the Bryarts in the 15th century and was sold to the house of the Earls of Bousies in 1575.
The castle has witnessed many important events, particularly during the siege of Mons in 1691 when ladies of the French court sought refuge there.
Géry-François de Bousies, had the existing castle built in 1782. It was built by the architect Larivière from Mons.
Remodelling work was carried out in 1942 to replace the original rectangular bay windows with archways.
Visits by appointment.
Tourist information on the town ESTINNES
Visit our partners' webpages
- "Le Crocodile Rouge" - The Red Crocodile Amphibious Bus
- Espace Chimay - beer and cheese interpretation centre
- Ronquières Inclined Plane
- B.P.S. 22 SPACE FOR CONTEMPORARY CREATION
- The Eau d'heure lakes - La Plate Taille Welcome Centre